Sunday, June 10, 2012

I'm Back! With so many more updates!

Every day I know it's time to start writing again.  Every day a new thing happens and Park Place Coffee in Rockwood that needs to be noticed.  So, let me start with today ... a beautiful and busy day at Park Place Coffee.  Today, my daughter Kelsey and I were working together.  A ragged, lost looking man passed the cafe on his way into the park next door and Kelsey noticed him.

I told Kelsey his story as I knew it...This young man became homeless probably a year and a half ago, as I remember.  He was clean cut at the time and approximately in his early 20's.  I recalled to Kelsey that back in those days he would wave and smile when I saw him.  I would give him muffins after they had reached their shelf life and he was always thankful.

My daughter said that was very sad and asked if I offered him muffins anymore, since he didn't look young and looked "out of it," she wondered if he needed some help.  I told Kelsey I do not offer him muffins anymore.  That many of the homeless, once they look like they have become drug addicts, I tend to disconnect.  I gave her the comparison a friend once told me...."what's the difference between a regular drug adddict and a meth addict?"  A drug addict will steal your wallet.  A meth addict will steal your wallet and then help you look for it. When someone looks like a meth addict I don't believe their conscience remains and I don't want to be their victim.

Kelsey was holding back tears as we watched him wandering in the park.  She said that was too sad and thought it wouldn't hurt to still try.  Half an hour later, he went walking by the cafe.  I grabbed a blueberry muffin and ran out the door to greet him.  I held out the muffin and said "we have extras, would you like one?"
"No thank you," he said in his disoriented voice.  I am sure he no longer remembered me and I am not sure what kept him from accepting the muffin... but he walked on.

When I came inside, my daughter was fighting back the tears.  "He didn't take the muffin?" she asked.  "No.  And I doubt he even remembers who I am."

It's a side of life that most people don't see, and a side that my daughter who drives her Mercedes and is in her 20's doesn't like to see.  I don't like to see it either.  But it's a reality in every corner of every community.  And it's sad to see people give up.  I, like Kelsey, used to try to save them all.  And I hate to think I have been hardened or have become skeptical.  Kelsey renewed my hope today and so I delivered the muffin.  I only hope and pray for those who have given up, that an answer comes.  And hope and pray that those who have not given up yet, will find a reason not to.

God bless this young man and so many others like him...

1 Comments:

Blogger I Am Not Superwoman said...

This brought tears to my eyes. It is sad so many people lose their way due to drugs. And then those that want to help turn jaded because of being done wrong by others. It is a tough balance for sure. Keep up the good work you are doing in Rockwood.

June 13, 2012 at 6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home